Monday, June 6, 2016

What Goes Up Must Come Down... (June 6, 2016)

Elise & Hermana Esperanza
More like what goes down has to come up again. I'm learning very viable science lessons here in the mission.

Week one in High-acucha has been quite a week indeed! Opening an area is actually pretty fun. We have started from zero. Literally, zero. We were left with nothing to work with. No investigators, no less active, no records of anyone! So we can only go up from here. We’ve been working with the leaders and the DL’s a lot and have been developing a system of work that will function best here in Garcilazo. We have seen so many miracles this week through our efforts and the tender mercies of the Lord. We showed up to houses and the people have just barely come home from a long trip but we were able to find them. There were a lot of people who asked us, “Hermanas, how did you know I was here today?” We didn't, but God did! It's been awesome!
Elise & "Mama Carmen"

Our area is gigantic. It used to be two areas, but they combined into one. Our maps (yes, there are more than one because of how big the area is) are all messed up and complicated. I know now why Pres. Jones would take us out into the middle of the woods at Girls Camp and teach us orientation. It’s so that I can read a Peruvian map of Garcilazo, Ayacucho! 

My companion is cute. She has five months in the mission. She is from Argentina and still has that accent. She's a hard worker and is ready for everything! I'm still the Hermana Leader of Family History. Whoever is in Las Villas, Chorrillos is the Hermana Leader but this assignment chose to follow me to Ayacucho. I have to do trainings, give reports, create systems to improve Family History in the mission. You might say I'm finding my way to leave my mark on this. #HERMANAJOYNERESTUVOAQUÍ  It's good! I have really come to love Family History! (Dayne, we are gonna take that class together, O.K.?) This week, amongst the fun of opening an area, we’ve also been house hunting. One of the first things the Zone Leaders told us when we got here was, “Oh, Hermana Joyner, just so you know, you’re dueño (landlord) is kicking you out. You have to find a house and moved out by June 15th.”  AHHHH! We had been looking all week. On Thursday, we got calls from the dueño (landlord) pressing us, so we basically had to find a house that day. I was praying and praying and praying! And then we ran into the Primary President. She had seen a “For Rent” sign and thought of us. We went to the house and took a look, met the owners, jumped through all the mission hoops, and got it approved. It was a miracle! The Hermano lived in Utah for 8 years and he and his wife have a great respect for the church and the members. It is seriously a prayer answered! God watches out for his missionaries! I have seen that time and time again. Everything always finds a way to work out.

Elise, companion, Jorge & Ada
So this week, we got some pretty exciting stuff! Tomorrow (Tuesday) night, I get to hop on the bus again and head back to Lima. We have our monthly leadership council. Then on Thursday, Elder Rasband will be here to talk to all of the Lima Missions and the CCM (MTC) (almost got to see you Maddie!). Then, Thursday night/Friday morning, we'll come back here to Ayacucho. I'm excited (well, not for the bus rides after what happened last time…)! I've had the luck to be in the Mission at just the right time. Elder Bednar, Elder Robbins, Elder Godoy, and now Elder Rasband! How nifty is that?! I guess I'm supposed to learn a thing or two.

Well, I'm out of time and things to say. I hope everyone enjoys their vacations and reunions and whatever else you've been doing. Have a great week!!!

Love,

Hermana Elise Joyner

Elise & Ada

No comments:

Post a Comment